4/11/2009

Moving Music Movies

Recently I watched two documentaries that deeply moved me.

One, Young@Heart, chronicles the Young@Heart Chorus, an internationally-touring group of men and women ages 70 and up that performs rock and roll songs (think Hendrix, Sonic Youth, and Talking Heads). I had a huge grin on my face for most of the movie (and there were tears, too, because it so moved me).

These people will capture your heart. One man with congestive heart failure comes back to sing with the group after a long absence, and I kept thinking that if he can sing with fluid in his lungs then what the hell am I doing not singing? It really inspired me.

Watch the trailer here and find out more about the chorus at their website.

The other documentary was, for me, highly anticipated. Girls Rock follows attendees of Rock 'n' Roll Camp for Girls in Portland, OR, a magical place where Carrie Brownstein of Sleater-Kinney and Beth Ditto of the Gossip are camp counselors and girls come together for a week in the summer to learn an instrument, form a band, and perform a song. ROCK!

What I just learned while researching this post is that they run a Ladies Rock Camp too! I am very seriously considering going to the October session. Women 19 and up come together for a weekend, form a band, and write and perform a song. So. Rad. Ladies Rock Camp raises money to keep the girls' camp going.

Watch the trailer here, find out more about the movie here, and learn more about the camp here.

No comments: